Sunday, April 16, 2006

Position wanted

Well, I've taken another step. I've sent out 4 job applications in my new persona.

Needless to say, some creative editing of my resume was required. Everything on it is true; I just had to omit a few things that made it obvious that I wasn't Annie at the time! Even now, it's a rather odd resume for a woman my age... there are a few jobs listed in which it was pretty unusual to find a woman at the time. And of course, I removed the name of my current employer.

The real issue is what to do if and when I get responses. I've pretty much decided that the best way to handle it is to go through the emails and telephone conversations, then when it's time for an interview, say, "By the way, there's one little thing you ought to know..."

I'm not going to simply show up for an interview without warning them what to expect; I'm not that passable yet, and there are other issues to deal with such as the fact that my legal name change is still in the works. I'll also have to point out that nothing I'm doing is covered by insurance, so hiring me is not going to cause their rates to go up.

As best I can tell, none of the positions I've applied for involve dealing with the public, so if the employer is generally sympathetic, at least they can't say, "Well, I personally don't have a problem with it, but we have to consider what our clients may think..."

I'm not holding my breath; I know I'm going into this with a huge strike against me, but I have to try. Shifting back and forth every workday is an incredible strain, and I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. If I can find employment as myself, I will finally be able to kill off this guy I've been pretending to be for so long. When that time comes, I've decided to hold a wake; you are all invited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home