Friday, May 05, 2006

Position Still Wanted

As I mentioned in my post of April 16, Position wanted, I recently sent out a number of job applications as myself for the first time. One of them got a response, and an interview was arranged for Tuesday, April 25.

My first dilemma was whether to inform them of my TS status before the interview. I asked my therapist and a number of friends, and they all agreed: Don't tell them in advance. As one friend said, "Meet them first, and work your charm on them. Why give them a chance to reject you sight unseen?"

At the same time, I didn't want them to think I was trying to put one over on them. I decided to inform them of my situation early in the interview, whether it appeared that they had figured it out or not. I also printed up a one-page fact sheet about me, to attach to my resume. It was adapted from an example I found in the 'transitioning on the job' section of the Wiki on the Susan's Place website, with a lot of input from friends both online and otherwise.

One particularly valuable piece of advice was to emphasize the term 'diagnosis' when referring to my status. I took it a bit further and avoided the use of the word 'transsexual', as it is emotionally loaded for some. I also pointed out that, while asking them to jump through some hoops for me (pending name change, the restroom situation), I would undoubtedly be one of the most loyal employees they'd ever had!

Tuesday finally came, and despite being nervous as hell, I managed to dress and do my makeup and head off to the corporate headquarters.

No one gave me any funny looks, no one screamed, "That's a guy!" when I walked into the gigantic marble-lined reception area. The person interviewing me only seemed interested in me as a potential employee. We talked for quite a while about qualifications, experience, and people we both know in the industry; he never brought up the issue. When I finally did, telling him my legal name and explaining my situation briefly, he seemed legitimately sympathetic. I left with the impression that my gender really wouldn't be an issue; even after I brought it up, the questions were about salary issues and software perferences, not bathrooms and name changes.

As I walked out of the conference room, my interviewer was reading my information sheet. I felt good about it. I think I did everything right, and even if I didn't get the job, I felt that I got a fair hearing.

It was an amazing day.

I've been out in public before, but this was public. I was so encouraged by the whole experience that immediately after the interview, I went to the bank & cashed a check, then went shopping at Wally World. Not a single hassle or bad experience.

I'm not saying that I passed; I've said before that I don't believe I'll ever be 100% passable (is anyone really that confident?) I'm sure there was some whispering going on behind my back, and a few looks being passed back and forth, but I've always said that if I can leave people in enough doubt that no one says anything about it, I'd be happy. Well, I was happy!

Thus began a nerve-wracking 10 days. At the interview, it was mentioned that they hoped to have a decision by the middle of the next (this) week. Every day I anxiously checked phone messages and email.

Finally today the word came. I didn't get the job.

My guess is that they felt I was overqualified, and wouldn't be happy in the long run doing more production-oriented than creative work.

I'll just have to keep looking, but tonight I'm just going to curl up on the sofa with a spoon and a half-gallon of ice cream and do some serious self-consolation.

Does anyone know of any job openings?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home